From the #teamME CEO: Our International Women’s Day Checklist
Happy International Women’s Day! Crank up your favorite power anthem and do a happy dance for the women who have come before you. Then, join me in celebrating the women who push boundaries, make their marks and shatter the glass ceiling.
This year’s theme, #BeBoldForChange, calls for all to work toward a more gender-inclusive world. However, unless we know tangible ways to make progress, this theme is merely a mantra. So, make it your goal this week to check off a few of the following boxes and inch our world closer to gender equality.
- Pay it forward. So many great women mentored me. Take a half hour and mentor the young women who will follow you.
- Ask for a pay raise. Some studies show women don’t make as much as men because they aren’t as assertive in asking for more money.
- Take risks. Don’t wait for others to give you permission to do what you know is right for you.
- Raise your voice. Women won the right to vote because they kept demanding it. Live up to their example and be a force for positive change.
- Pitch a big tent. Instead of focusing on being left outside the tent, bring everyone in with you: women, men, young, old, rich, poor, a rainbow of nationalities. Pursue equality by being equitable.
- Create your own path. Are you frustrated by the glass ceiling? Smash it and create your own business.
- Prepare for Takeoff: Launch or fund a women-focused scholarship — especially in STEM education and careers. Here’s one of my favorites: wtsinternational.org/assets/59/22/2016_Molitoris_Application.pdf
- Inspire others: Share one of the International Women’s Day videos on social media.
Do your part. Pull your weight. Get it done.
And keep this quote top of mind:
“Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.”
Deemed the “fearless leader” of #teamME, Marie has a way of translating technical jargon into language we can all understand. Also, she rocked colored pantsuits far before they were trendy. Click here to read more from Marie and her business approach and #teamME philosophy.